Friday, September 2, 2011

Still striving.

Greetings out there. Here I am after being away for a while again.  As much as I want to post on a regular basis, it it tough because I have much to deal with in my everyday life. You know how it is. Any way, I am posting some more recent pieces done at the GA Aquarium. Summer was great for me because I was able to work alot of hours there, but now business has slowed down and I am not getting nearly as many hours. I really need to find ways to make my business grow not just doing party caricatures, but illustrative work as well. I know that this is the issue for many caricaturists, but I also realize that there are those who do very well, so I know it can be done. I have tried to ask a couple of the ones doing well what they do to bring in consistant business, but I was told little to nothing. I think that there are artists out there who believe that if they help someone else, that it will hurt them. They keep what they do secret. They seem to see other artists as the "enemy". I whole heartedly believe that even in this down economy, there is business enough for all of us and when you help someone else you also wind up helping yourself. I hope that I can become as successful as I wish to be, because it would be my pleasure to help other artists trying to grow. We all had to start somewhere.

Anyway, here is some recent work. Comments and cits welcome!









3 comments:

Emily Byrne said...

Tony, your work is phenomenal and among the best in live caricatures, IMHO. And I couldn't agree with you more about there being enough business for all. Just be thoughtful of your customers, give them your best while also realizing the value of your work, and try to market yourself creatively--that's what works for me.

Caricatures by Tony Smith said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Emily! I will keep trying to learn how to market creatively. Thanks for the encouragement snd I HOPE to see you at the con!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tony,

I sent you an e-mail regarding your caricatures to your yahoo e-mail address - just wanted to make sure it reached you ?

Fiona
fionap(at)iafrica.com